- Jerry “The King” Lawler’s commentary moments have entertained wrestling fans for decades.
- Lawler’s quick wit and comedic timing made him a beloved commentator in the wrestling world.
- He was known for his colorful catchphrases and larger-than-life personality on the mic.
- Lawler’s ability to add excitement and emotion to matches helped elevate the viewing experience for audiences.
Are you ready to step into the electrifying world of professional wrestling commentary?
Get ready to meet the iconic voice that has been captivating fans for decades – the one and only Jerry “The King” Lawler.
From his unforgettable one-liners to his emotional outpours, Lawler has established himself as a force to be reckoned with in the realm of sports entertainment.
In this article, we will explore Lawler’s most memorable commentary moments, his controversial remarks, the impact he has had on wrestling culture, and even answer some burning questions you may have about his remarkable career.
So grab your popcorn and get ready to be entertained by the master of the microphone!
|Jerry “The King” Lawler’s Commentary Moments|
|2||Infamous “Burger King” comment about The Ultimate Warrior|
|3||Commentary during The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8|
|4||Reaction to Stone Cold Steve Austin’s return at Backlash 2000|
|5||Hilarious banter with Jim Ross throughout their partnership|
Jerry Lawler’s Iconic Commentary Moments
Jerry Lawler’s Iconic Commentary Moments – highlighting Lawler’s memorable moments behind the mic.
1. The Birth of Puppies: Lawler’s Love for Divas
Lawler’s love for Divas led to the birth of the iconic “Puppies” catchphrase.
He popularized the term during his commentary on WWE matches, often referring to the female wrestlers and their physical attributes.
This catchphrase became a trademark of Lawler’s commentary style and added a humorous element to the broadcasts.
The term “Puppies” has since been synonymous with Lawler and his unique brand of commentary.
2. The Art of Heel Commentating: Lawler’s Villainous Persona
The art of heel commentating is truly mastered by Jerry Lawler and his villainous persona. He knows how to stir up emotions and create a strong connection with the audience.
One of his powerful techniques is his ability to play the bad guy, getting under the skin of the fans and making them despise him.
Jerry Lawler’s witty insults and provocative remarks add an extra layer of excitement to the matches, keeping viewers engaged and entertained. His villainous persona brings a unique dynamic to wrestling commentary, making him an iconic figure in the industry.
3. The Voice of Memphis Wrestling: Lawler’s Hometown Pride
Jerry “The King” Lawler’s iconic voice has become synonymous with Memphis wrestling. As a proud hometown hero, Lawler’s commentary captures the essence of the wrestling scene in Memphis.
His passion for the sport and his deep connection to the city shine through in every match he calls.
Lawler’s voice not only entertains the audience but also serves as a representation of Memphis’s rich wrestling history. The fans know that when Lawler is on the mic, they are going to witness a truly authentic Memphis wrestling experience.
4. The King’s One-Liners: Lawler’s Witty Remarks
Jerry “The King” Lawler is known for his quick wit and clever remarks during his commentary.
Here are four of his most memorable one-liners:
- “He’s as confused as a termite in a yo-yo.” Lawler’s ability to come up with unique analogies adds comedic value to his commentary.
- “He’s got a face only a mother could love, and she’s ashamed of it!” Lawler’s knack for delivering sassy insults adds entertainment to the matches.
- “He’s in a world of hurt, and I’m the mayor!” Lawler’s ability to inject humor into intense situations lightens the mood during tense matches.
- “He’s so ugly, his birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory!” Lawler’s boundary-pushing humor often leaves fans both shocked and amused.
With his quick wit and clever remarks, Jerry Lawler has become synonymous with entertaining commentary.
5. Emotional Commentary: Lawler’s Heartfelt Moments
Jerry Lawler has delivered some genuinely emotional moments through his commentary.
One standout moment was when his longtime broadcast partner, Jim Ross, suffered a Bell’s palsy attack during a live event.
Lawler’s concern for Ross was palpable, and he provided heartfelt updates throughout the broadcast.
Another emotional commentary moment came during The King’s retirement match when Lawler fought back tears as he spoke about his career and the impact it had on his life.
These moments show Lawler’s ability to connect with the audience on a deeply emotional level.
Lawler’s Controversial Commentary
Lawler’s Controversial Commentary: Delving into the controversies surrounding Lawler’s commentary.
1. Inappropriate Remarks: Lawler’s Slip-ups
Jerry “The King” Lawler is known for his colorful commentary in the world of professional wrestling.
However, there have been moments where his remarks were deemed inappropriate.
These slip-ups primarily involve making offensive or derogatory comments about wrestlers or other individuals.
Lawler’s inappropriate remarks have sparked controversy and backlash from fans and fellow commentators alike.
While Lawler may have intended to entertain, it is crucial to remember the impact that words can have and strive for more respectful and inclusive commentary in the future.
2. Lawsuit with WWE: Defamation Allegations
Jerry “The King” Lawler faced a lawsuit from WWE due to defamation allegations.
The WWE claimed that Lawler made false and damaging statements about the company, its employees, and its products.
The lawsuit centered around Lawler’s commentary during WWE events, where he often expressed controversial opinions.
The defamation allegations led to a legal battle between Lawler and WWE, with both parties seeking to defend their positions in court.
The outcome of the lawsuit is not known at this time, but it highlights the potential consequences of publicly criticizing a company or its products.
3. Suspension and Apology: Consequences and Redemption
After facing backlash for controversial commentary, Jerry “The King” Lawler was suspended by the WWE.
This suspension served as a consequence for his actions and words.
Lawler later issued an apology, expressing remorse for his comments.
His apology was an important step towards redemption, as it showed a recognition of the harm caused and a willingness to make amends.
Admitting mistakes and taking responsibility is crucial in moving forward and rebuilding trust with fans and the wrestling community.
The Impact of Jerry Lawler’s Commentary
Jerry Lawler’s commentary has had a significant impact on wrestling culture.
1. Engaging the Audience: Lawler’s Connection with Fans
Jerry “The King” Lawler has a knack for connecting with fans through his commentary. He engages the audience by bringing his own enthusiasm and excitement to every match.
Lawler’s witty remarks, catchphrases, and storytelling ability make for an entertaining viewing experience.
He understands what the fans want and delivers it, creating a strong bond between himself and the audience. Lawler’s connection with fans is a key factor in his success as a commentator.
2. Influence on Wrestling Culture: Catchphrases and Memorable Quotes
Jerry “The King” Lawler’s commentary has had a significant influence on wrestling culture, particularly through his creation of catchphrases and memorable quotes.
These phrases have become iconic in wrestling, and fans often chant them at live events.
Lawler’s quick wit and clever remarks have added excitement and entertainment to matches, enhancing the overall viewing experience.
From “Puppies!” to “Piledriver!” his catchphrases have become synonymous with the excitement and energy of professional wrestling.
3. Teaching the Craft: Lawler’s Mentorship Role
Jerry Lawler has had a significant impact as a mentor in the world of professional wrestling commentary.
His experience and knowledge of the craft make him an invaluable teacher for aspiring commentators.
Lawler’s mentorship role includes sharing his insights, providing feedback, and guiding commentators on how to effectively engage with the audience.
He is known for encouraging creativity while maintaining professionalism.
Many aspiring commentators have benefited from Lawler’s mentorship, leading to a new generation of talented voices in the industry.
4. Legacy and Recognition: Hall of Fame Induction
Jerry “The King” Lawler’s talent and impact as a commentator have been recognized and celebrated in the world of professional wrestling.
His legacy was cemented when he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007.
This prestigious honor acknowledged Lawler’s contributions to the industry and his iconic status as one of the most influential and entertaining commentators of all time.
Lawler’s induction into the Hall of Fame solidifies his place in wrestling history and reaffirms his lasting impact on the sport.
Frequently Asked Questions about Jerry Lawler’s Commentary Career
1. How long has Jerry Lawler been a commentator?
Jerry Lawler has been a commentator for over three decades.
He first began his commentary career in the mid-1990s and has since become one of the most recognizable voices in professional wrestling.
Lawler’s charismatic and entertaining style has made him a beloved figure among fans, and he continues to bring his expertise to the commentary booth to this day.
2. What are some notable catchphrases used by Lawler?
Lawler is known for his entertaining catchphrases throughout his commentary career.
Some of his notable catchphrases include:
- “Puppies!” – Lawler famously and enthusiastically exclaimed this phrase whenever there were attractive women in the ring.
- “That’s vintage (wrestler’s name!” – Lawler often used this catchphrase to highlight when a wrestler was performing a signature move or showcasing their classic wrestling style.
- “Business is about to pick up!” – Lawler would use this phrase to create excitement and anticipation when a high-intensity moment or unexpected twist was about to happen in a match.
- “One, two, he got him! No, he didn’t!” – Lawler skillfully added suspense during pinfall attempts by counting along with the referee and then adding a twist when the match wasn’t over.
- “The King says…!” – Lawler would use this catchphrase to express his own opinion or to emphasize an important point during his commentary.
These catchphrases helped Lawler become a beloved and memorable commentator in the world of professional wrestling.
3. Has Lawler ever wrestled professionally?
Yes, Lawler has wrestled professionally.
He is a former professional wrestler and has had a successful in-ring career.
Lawler is known for his charismatic personality, colorful attire, and his signature move, the piledriver.
He has competed in various promotions, including WWE, and has had numerous memorable matches throughout his wrestling career.
Lawler’s experience as a wrestler brings a unique perspective to his commentary, as he understands the physicality and psychology of the sport firsthand.
4. How did Lawler’s commentary style influence other commentators?
Jerry Lawler’s commentary style has had a significant influence on other commentators in the wrestling industry.
His charismatic and entertaining approach to announcing matches has inspired many to adopt a similar delivery.
Lawler’s quick wit, colorful storytelling, and ability to engage the audience have set a standard for how commentators connect with viewers.
His distinctive catchphrases and humorous one-liners have become a trademark, and other commentators have been prompted to incorporate their own unique catchphrases and comedic elements into their commentary.
Lawler’s impact on the industry can be seen in the way commentators strive to entertain and engage fans while calling the action in the ring.
Jerry “The King” Lawler’s commentary moments have left an indelible mark on the world of professional wrestling. From his love for divas and creation of the iconic “puppies” catchphrase to his villainous persona as a heel commentator, Lawler’s commentary style was unique and captivating.
He also showcased his pride for his hometown of Memphis and entertained the audience with his witty one-liners.
However, there were controversial moments that resulted in slip-ups, lawsuits, and suspensions. Despite this, Lawler’s impact on wrestling culture cannot be denied.
He engaged the audience, influenced wrestling catchphrases, served as a mentor, and ultimately received recognition by being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Jerry “The King” Lawler will be remembered as a legendary commentator who left a lasting impression on the industry.