- The WWE Draft allows wrestlers to switch between the Raw and SmackDown brands.
- Draft picks are determined by a selected pool of wrestlers and are made by the respective brand’s general managers.
- The draft helps to create fresh storylines and rivalries by redistributing talent across the brands.
- The draft also allows WWE to balance the rosters and showcase different wrestlers on each brand.
Are you ready for one of the most exciting events in the world of professional wrestling?
It’s time for the WWE Draft! Whether you’re a long-time fan or just getting into the action, this is an event that you won’t want to miss.
In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into the rules and picks of the WWE Draft, giving you a behind-the-scenes look at how the process works.
From superstar eligibility to the impact on storylines and rivalries, we’ll cover it all.
Get ready for some jaw-dropping moments, surprising picks, and career-changing opportunities.
Let’s get started!
|Round||Raw Picks||SmackDown Picks||NXT Picks|
|1||Drew McIntyre||Roman Reigns||Keith Lee|
|2||Charlotte Flair||Sasha Banks||Finn Balor|
|3||Randy Orton||Bray Wyatt||Johnny Gargano|
|5||The New Day||Jeff Hardy||Adam Cole|
|6||Seth Rollins||AJ Styles||Karrion Kross|
|7||Miz & Morrison||Shinsuke Nakamura & Cesaro||Pete Dunne|
|8||Keith Lee||Ricochet||Ilja Dragunov|
|9||Bobby Lashley||Nikki Cross||Toni Storm|
|10||Aleister Black||Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode||Shotzi Blackheart|
What is the WWE Draft?
The WWE Draft is an annual event where the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) roster is divided into two separate brands: Raw and SmackDown. Wrestlers from both brands are eligible to be drafted to the other brand, and this helps to create fresh storylines and rivalries.
The draft is conducted through a series of picks, with each brand selecting superstars to join their roster.
It is a highly anticipated event for wrestling fans as it shapes the landscape of the WWE.
How Does the WWE Draft Work?
The WWE Draft is a process where wrestlers are chosen by different brands to compete exclusively for that brand.
It involves a selection process and specific rules to determine the roster for each brand.
General Overview of the WWE Draft Process
The WWE Draft is a process where WWE Superstars are selected to either stay on their current brand (Raw or Smackdown) or be drafted to the other brand. The draft is conducted by the respective brand General Managers who take turns choosing Superstars from a pool of eligible wrestlers.
Each brand is allocated a certain number of picks, and there is also an opportunity for trades to occur.
The purpose of the draft is to shake up the rosters, create new storylines, and keep the shows fresh. It’s an exciting time for fans to see who will end up where and how it will impact the future of WWE.
Drafting Rules and Regulations
Drafting Rules and Regulations in the WWE Draft are designed to ensure fairness and create excitement among the fans. Here are some key points to understand:
- All WWE Superstars are eligible to be drafted, unless specifically exempted by the company.
- The draft is conducted in a serpentine order, meaning the picks alternate between the two brands. For example, Brand A makes the first pick, Brand B makes the second pick, and so on.
- The draft consists of multiple rounds, with each brand having a predetermined number of picks in each round.
- The order of the draft picks may be determined by various factors such as superstar rankings, previous brand performance, or even a random selection process.
- Once a superstar is drafted to a brand, they become exclusive to that brand unless a trade or special exemption is made.
- The draft may include both individual superstars and championship titles, allowing brands to strengthen their rosters and storyline possibilities.
These rules and regulations are put in place to keep the WWE Draft organized and create strategic opportunities for brands to build their own unique identities.
Draft Eligibility and Selection
Superstars from both RAW and SmackDown are eligible to be drafted in the WWE Draft.
The selection process is determined by the officials and management of WWE.
Superstar Eligibility for the WWE Draft
In order to be eligible for the WWE Draft, a Superstar must meet certain criteria. Firstly, they must be an active performer on either Raw or SmackDown.
Secondly, they must not currently hold a championship title.
Thirdly, they must not have been drafted in the previous draft. Superstar eligibility is important for maintaining fairness and balance in the roster.
It ensures that both brands have equal opportunities to build their respective rosters.
So, if a Superstar meets these criteria, they have a chance to be drafted and potentially move to a new brand.
How Are Picks Made in the WWE Draft?
In the WWE Draft, picks are made through a predetermined process to determine which brand a superstar will be assigned to.
The draft involves a random selection process where representatives from each brand make their picks.
The order of the picks may be determined by factors such as previous brand performance or other set criteria.
The representative selects a superstar or tag team to join their brand, and this continues until all superstars have been drafted.
The picks are announced live on television, creating excitement and anticipation for the fans.
Trades and Negotiations during the Draft
During the WWE Draft, trades and negotiations play a significant role in shaping the rosters of the respective brands.
Teams can engage in discussions to exchange superstars or draft picks.
These trades can happen during the Draft itself, creating excitement and unpredictability.
Negotiations between general managers and commissioners can lead to surprising moves and new alliances.
It adds an element of realism and strategy to the Draft, making it a thrilling event for both wrestlers and fans.
Impact and Implications of the WWE Draft
The WWE Draft has significant impacts on storylines, championships, tag teams, and creative opportunities within the company.
Changes to Storylines and Rivalries
Changes to Storylines and Rivalries occur frequently in WWE after the Draft. They shake up the landscape and create new and exciting matchups for both Superstars and fans.
Feuds between wrestlers may escalate or take a different direction.
Storylines may evolve or begin anew. The Draft provides an opportunity for fresh narratives and unexpected twists, keeping the WWE Universe engaged and entertained.
These changes inject new life into the WWE product and leave fans eagerly anticipating the next chapters in their favorite rivalries.
Effects on Championship Titles and Tag Teams
When it comes to the WWE Draft, one of the major effects is on championship titles and tag teams.
Superstars are drafted to different brands, which means that title holders may switch brands as well.
This can lead to new rivalries and fresh matchups for championship titles.
Additionally, tag teams may also face separation during the draft, resulting in potential opportunities for new partnerships and feuds.
This shakeup adds excitement and unpredictability to the WWE landscape.
The Creative Opportunities Offered by the Draft
The WWE Draft presents exciting creative opportunities for the wrestlers, storylines, and the overall direction of the company. With the draft, new rivalries can be formed, unexpected alliances can be created, and fresh matchups can take place.
The shake-up allows for fresh storylines to be developed, creating anticipation and excitement among fans.
Additionally, the draft helps in refreshing the talent roster, giving new wrestlers a chance to shine and showcase their skills. Ultimately, the draft offers a chance for the WWE to keep its product fresh and engaging for its audience.
Notable Past Draft Moments
Some of the most memorable moments in WWE Draft history include surprising draft picks and unexpected trades. There have been several draft moments that have had significant impacts on wrestlers’ careers and forever changed the landscape of WWE.
Memorable Draft Picks and Surprises
Memorable Draft Picks and Surprises
- One of the most memorable draft picks in WWE history was John Cena being drafted to the SmackDown brand in 2005. This move solidified Cena as a top star and helped him become the face of the company.
- Another standout moment was the shocking draft of The Rock to the SmackDown brand in 2002. This unexpected move brought mainstream attention to WWE and created a new era for the blue brand.
- In 2019, the draft saw some surprises with Bray Wyatt, also known as “The Fiend,” being drafted to Friday Night SmackDown. This move added a new level of unpredictability to his character and made for thrilling storytelling.
- The draft also gave rise to unexpected tag team partnerships, such as Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit being drafted to Raw in 2002. This unexpected pairing created a dominant force in the tag team division.
- Lastly, the draft has been known to deliver shocking returns, like Triple H returning to Raw in 2016 after an extended absence. This surprise draft pick created a buzz among fans and set the stage for an epic comeback storyline.
These memorable draft picks and surprises have kept fans on the edge of their seats, demonstrating the excitement and unpredictability of the WWE Draft.
Significant Impacts on Wrestlers’ Careers
Significant Impacts on Wrestlers’ Careers:
- Draft placement can have a major impact on a wrestler’s career. Being chosen in the early rounds of the draft can indicate the company’s confidence in their abilities and lead to more opportunities and higher profile storylines.
- A change in brand can also affect a wrestler’s career trajectory. Moving to a different brand can provide fresh storylines and new rivalries, allowing wrestlers to showcase different aspects of their character and skills.
- Drafts can also lead to the reunification or separation of tag teams, which can either strengthen or weaken the careers of the wrestlers involved. A successful split can lead to individual success, while a separation can result in less prominent roles.
- The draft can also result in unexpected partnerships. Wrestlers who may not have crossed paths before can be paired together, creating new opportunities and potentially elevating each other’s careers.
- Lastly, the draft can create a sense of uncertainty for wrestlers, as they may not know where they will end up or how it will impact their careers. This uncertainty can be a driving force for some, pushing them to work harder and prove their worth in their new brand.
Frequently Asked Questions about the WWE Draft
How Often Does the WWE Hold Drafts?
The WWE holds drafts approximately every year or every other year.
The frequency of the drafts may vary depending on the storyline and creative decisions made by the company.
It is an exciting time for both wrestlers and fans, as it shakes up the rosters and creates opportunities for new rivalries and storylines.
So, keep an eye out for when the next draft will take place!
Can Wrestlers Be Drafted to Different Brands More than Once?
Yes, wrestlers can be drafted to different brands more than once in the WWE Draft.
This means that a wrestler who has previously been on one brand can be drafted to a different brand in a later draft.
The draft is a way for the WWE to shake things up and create new storylines and rivalries.
So, don’t be surprised if you see your favorite wrestler change brands more than once during the draft!
What Happens to Wrestlers Not Picked in the Draft?
What happens to wrestlers not picked in the WWE Draft?
Well, if a wrestler is not selected during the draft, they will remain on their current brand.
This means they will continue to compete on the same show and have the opportunity to showcase their talents.
Just because a wrestler wasn’t chosen in the draft doesn’t mean their career is over – they can still work hard and prove themselves to earn future draft consideration.
It’s all about perseverance and seizing every opportunity that comes their way.
Can NXT Superstars Be Drafted to the Main Roster?
Yes, NXT Superstars can be drafted to the main roster. The WWE Draft is an opportunity for talent from NXT to make the jump to either Raw or SmackDown.
It’s an exciting time for the Superstars and fans alike, as it gives them a chance to showcase their abilities on a bigger stage.
This allows for fresh matchups and storylines to unfold, keeping the WWE Universe engaged and entertained. So, if you’re a fan of NXT, keep an eye out during the Draft for any potential moves from the black and gold brand to the main roster.
The WWE Draft is a highly anticipated and exciting event that shakes up the rosters of Raw and SmackDown, creating new storylines, rivalries, and opportunities for both the wrestlers and the creative team. The drafting process follows specific rules and regulations, ensuring fairness and balance between the brands.
Trades and negotiations can also occur during the draft, adding an element of unpredictability.
The impact of the draft extends to changes in championships, tag teams, and even the careers of individual wrestlers. Overall, the WWE Draft offers fans a thrilling spectacle while shaping the future of professional wrestling.